Application as a foreign student
- Information sheet for foreign applicants
- Applications for the psychology master's programme can only be sent in online via the faculty. For futher information click here.
- Information for applicants from EU member states and 'Bildungsinländer' (i.e. non-German applicants with German university entrance qualification/German university degree)
The application deadlines for programmes with general (NC) or local (ONC) admission restrictions are January 15th for the summer semester or July 15th for the winter semester. The application deadlines for programmes with free admission are end of the first week of April for the summer semester and end of the first week of October for the winter semester.
Please send your complete set of application documents to:
Studierenden- und Prüfungsverwaltung
Please only submit fully completed and signed application forms and do not send us your application until you can include all necessary documents. All documents must be official, certified copies. Documents handed in later cannot be sorted properly and will therefore not be considered.
Please check if you have a university erntrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung) for German universities before you submit your application. For further information visit the platform anabin.
Which documents have to be submitted?
Apart from the fully completed and signed application form, the following must be submitted:
- School-leaving certificates (official, certified copies in the original language and in German, translated by a sworn translator; English and French certificates do not need to be translated)
- Proof of previous study credits (official, certified copies in the original language and in German, translated by a sworn translator; English and French certificates do not need to be translated)
- If you have attended a Studienkolleg in Germany, please submit an official, certified copy of the certificate proving that you have passed the university entrance assessment test, and showing the subjects studied and the grades received.
- Official, certified copy of the DSH (2 or 3) certificate (= German language university entrance exam for foreign students) or a comparable language proficiency certificate
- If you have changed your name (e.g. through marriage), please submit an official, certified copy of the marriage certificate or other appropriate proof.
- If you have already begun studying in Germany, please submit the current certificate of enrolment (= Studienbescheinigung), showing subject(s) studied, intended degree and number of semesters studied.
- Master’s programme: Please submit the “Nachweis der besonderen Eignung” (proof of aptitude), which you can apply for to the respective faculty.
- Doctorate: If you are planning to study for a doctorate degree, you need the dean’s permission and a letter confirming academic supervision by your supervisor.
- Applicants from the People's Republic of China must submit the original Zertifikat der Akademischen Prüfstelle (APS) from the German Embassy in Beijing:
- Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
Kulturreferat, Akademische Prüfstelle
Landmark Tower 2, Office 03118
8, Dongsanhuan Beilu
Chaoyang District, 100004 Beijing, VR China
Telefon: 0086-10-6590-7138 oder -7141, (Mo. bis Do. 13.00 - 17.00 Uhr chinesischer Zeit)
- Applicants from Mongolia require the original registration from the German Embassy in Ulan Bator.
- Applicants from Vietnam must submit the original Zertifikat der Akademischen Prüfstelle (APS) from the German Embassy in Hanoi.
The Preliminary Review Documentation
If you need a confirmation of your university entrance qualification (e.g. in order to extend your visa or in case you do not have a proof of German language skills, yet) prior to your application, you will have the possibility to get your foreign certificates checked for a fee via uni-assist (www.uni-assist.de).
Cofirmation of receipt
- In case you need a confirmation of receipt of your application documents (e.g. for requesting a student applicant visa), please enclose a postcard according to the instructions on our websites.