Documents required on application (international students)
You can request your application form in writing from the Registrar’s office (enclosing a stamped and self-addressed A5 envelope) or download it from the internet.
Application for a university place as a foreign student
Information for foreign applicants
- For higher semesters please use the form for the respective study programme Higher semesters
Apart from the fully-completed and signed application form, the following must be submitted:
- school-leaving certificates (in the original language and an official, certified copy in German translated by a sworn translator; English and French certificates do not need to be translated)
- proof of previous study credits (in the original language and an official, certified copy in German translated by a sworn translator; English and French certificates do not need to be translated)
- DSH certificate (= German language university entrance exam for foreign students) (DSH 2 or 3) or a comparable language proficiency certificate
- If you have already begun to study in Germany, please submit the current certificate of enrolment (= Studienbescheinigung) from your university / college, showing subject(s) studied, intended degree and number of semesters studied.
- stamps to a value of €2,90 or international reply coupons (available from any post office)
- If you have attended a Studienkolleg (= college) in Germany, an official, certified copy of the certificate showing subjects studied and grades received.
- If you have changed your name (e.g. through marriage), please submit a certified copy of the marriage certificate or other appropriate proof.
- Applicants from China must submit their original certificate from the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) (= Academic Evaluation Centre) which can be contacted through the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Peking:
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
Kulturreferat, Akademische Prüfstelle
Landmark Tower 2, Office 03118,
8, Dongsanhuan Beilu
Chaoyang District, 100004 Beijing, People’s Republic of China
Tel.: 0086-10-6590-7138 or -7141 (Mon to Thurs 1 – 5 pm Chinese local time)
- Applicants from Mongolia must include the original registration from the German Embassy in Ulan Bator.
- Applicants from Vietnam must submit the original certificate from the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) (= Academic Evaluation Centre) from the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Hanoi.
- Doctoral degree: If you are planning to study for a doctorate or would like to carry out research and are looking for a professor to supervise your work, please use our web pages (www.uni-duesseldorf.de) to find a suitable institute or department. You can also contact the Dean of the respective faculty to request assistance.
- Proof of aptitude (= Eignungsnachweise), if required for your intended study programme, must be submitted to the Registrar’s office along with your application.
- All documents submitted must be official, certified copies. (Documents in German can be certified by the AStA (= Students’ Union) at HHU).
- It is not sufficient to simply copy authentication stamps. Authentications in languages other than German, English or French will also not be accepted. Foreign language authentications (other than English or French) must be translated into German by the Embassy or a sworn translator.
- We regret that late submission of missing documents after 15 January (for the summer semester) or 15 July (for the winter semester) is not possible for applications for study programmes with general admission restrictions (= numerus clausus).
- Please only send in your fully completed and signed form when you can include all necessary papers.