From regional academy to cosmopolitan university

1900-1960

1907

The “Düsseldorf Academy for Practical Medicine” is founded on 4.6.1907 by imperial decree after long and sustained efforts from Düsseldorf.

The Academy’s function: to provide training for medical practitioners, training in special subjects, further training courses, and to promote practical medicine from a scientific

point of view.

The Academy had no presidential constitution and was not able to train students.

Ceremonial opening of the newly-built General Municipal Hospital (Allgemeine Städtische Krankenanstalten) and the “Academy for Practical Medicine”.

1919

The Academy begins clinical training with provisional approval and mainly for war veterans.

1923

Prussia and Düsseldorf sign an agreement, renaming the “Academy for Practical Medicine” “Medical Academy in Düsseldorf”. The Academy receives a presidential constitution and the right to clinically train students.

Official opening of the Academy.

1931/1932

Students are able to study Dentistry.

1935

The “Medical Academy in Düsseldorf” receives the right to confer doctorate.

 

1945

Academic training is resumed.

1955

Foundation of the Association of friends and supporters of the Medical Academy (Gesellschaft von Freunden und Förderern der Medizinischen Akademie in Düsseldorf) .

Map of Düsseldorf Hospital
Düsseldorf Hospital
Permit

1960s: The founding years

1962

The State of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) and Düsseldorf sign an agreement: NRW assumes responsibility and care for the Medical Academy from 1.1.1962, whilst the City of Düsseldorf remains in possession of the General Municipal Hospital (Allgemeine Städtische Krankenanstalten).

1965

The State government of North Rhine-Westphalia decides to convert the Medical Academy into “Düsseldorf University”.

1965/66

First year students of Medicine are accepted for the first time.

It was previously only possible to study from the 3rd semester .

1966

Düsseldorf University is constituted with a Faculty of Medicine and a combined Faculty of Natural Sciences – Arts and Humanities.

Ceremony to celebrate the foundation of the university.

1969

The joint Faculty of Natural Sciences – Arts and Humanities is separated into two independent faculties: Mathematics and Natural Sciences, and Arts and Humanities.

Founding President Karl Oberdisse
Ceremony foundation of the university

1970s

1973

The Municipal Hospital (Städtische Krankenanstalten) – University Hospital is no longer under the control of the City of Düsseldorf but now under that of the State North Rhine-Westphalia (university).

A prize is awarded in the building and ideas competition for the central part of the university including library, lecture halls and arts and humanities institutes.

Most of the arts and humanities institutes move into the newly-constructed premises on campus.

The university signs a partnership agreement with the University of Nantes (France).

1975/76

The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences takes up residence in its new premises with 3,800 study places.

1976/1977

The newly-founded study programme Pharmacy welcomes its first students .

1979/1980

The new building for the University Library opens its doors. For the first time the university comprises more than 10,000 students.

Construction site Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Construction site university cafeteria

1980s:

1980/1981

Opening of the Institute of Sports Science and the university’s sport facilities.

1981

The Faculty of Arts and Humanities signs a cooperation agreement with the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at the University of Naples (Italy).

1984

The university receives a new constitution.

The new constitution becomes effective with the election of Deans.

The university signs a partnership agreement with the University of Naples (Italy).

1985

Opening of the MNR (Medical – Neurological – Radiological) clinic.

1987

The university signs a partnership agreement with the University of Peking (PR China).

The university signs a cooperation agreement with the University of Alicante (Spain).

1987/1988

Düsseldorf is the first European university to offer the study programme “Literary Translation”.

1988

A The university signs a partnership agreement with the University of Reading (Great Britain) .

The senate decides that the university should bear the name “Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf” in future.

Senate meeting where the university is renamed Heinrich Heine University
Newly-built dome Botanical Garden

1990s:

1990

The Faculty of Business Administration and Economics is established.

The university signs a partnership agreement with the University of California, Davis (USA).

The senate forms the university board of trustees .

1991

The university signs a partnership agreement with Pennsylvania State University (USA).

1992

The study programme “Law” is established.

1993

The Heinrich Heine Hall, funded by the Gesellschaft von Freunden und Förderern der HHU Düsseldorf (University friends and supporters), and situated in the student halls of residence Campus-South, is inaugurated in an official ceremony.

The Faculty of Law is established.

1995

The new children’s hospital “Schloßmann-Haus” is opened.

1996

The Faculty of Law is able to move into the newly-built Juridicum on campus after a record construction time – the ground-breaking ceremony took place on 26.1.1996.

1998

The university signs a partnership agreement with Karls University, Prague (Czech Republic).

1999

The university signs a partnership agreement with Keio University, Tokyo (Japan).

Newly-built Faculty of Law
Student Halls of Residence Campus-South

2000s:

2000

Mickeln castle is ceremonially inaugurated as the university’s new guest house and conference centre.

2001

Düsseldorf University Hospital is established as a public-law institution (Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts). Düsseldorf University Hospital with a supervisory board and a director thereby takes the place of the previous Medizinische Einrichtungen (medical facilities), which as a result become legally independent.

The university constitution, adapted to satisfy the new Higher Education Act, is ratified by the senate. The President’s Office is thereby extended to include the Vice President for International Relations.

2002

Committee elections and the re-election of the Vice Presidents and Deans conclude the reorganization stipulated by the new Higher Education Act.

On the initiative of the Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Düsseldorf Business School is founded.

2004

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland visits Heinrich Heine University as part of her state visit (Faculty of Medicine and University Hospital).

2007

The Freedom of Institutions of Higher Education Act (Hochschulfreiheitsgesetz / HFG) comes into force. The university loses its dual character as both corporation and state institution and becomes an independent public corporation.

The university constitution, adapted to satisfy the Freedom of Institutions of Higher Education Act, is ratified by the senate.

The senate elects the eight members of the future university council, the university’s supreme body as laid down in the constitution. The Ministry of Innovation, Science, Research and Technology gives its consent the next day.

The members of the university council are nominated.

2008

Founding meeting of düsseldorf university press.

Prof. Dr. Dr. H. Michael Piper is elected President of Düsseldorf University by the university council. He begins his period in office on 3.11.2008.

The North Rhine-Westphalian Research School BioStruct opens its doors at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.

The Schwarz-Schütte foundation and Düsseldorf University draw up deeds concerning the funding of the construction of the “Oeconomicum”. This new building for the Faculty of Business Administration and Economics and the institution of a number of additional Chairs in Economics are sponsored by a total sum of EUR 40 million.

2009

The new President’s office starts work. In addition to the President Prof. Dr. Dr. H. Michael Piper and the Chancellor Prof. Ulf Pallme König, it consists of the Vice Presidents Prof. Dr. Ulrich von Alemann (Excellence in Teaching), Prof. Dr. Klaus Pfeffer (Structural Development) and Prof. Dr. Lutz Schmitt (Research and Innovation).

The Student Service Centre is opened.

Laying of the foundation stone for the “Oeconomicum”

The State of North Rhine-Westphalia and Düsseldorf University sign a contract, whereby the university receives a total of EUR 110 million for modernisation purposes.

2010

Prof. Dr. Axel Buchner joins the President’s office as Vice President for Academic Management and International Relations.

During the summer semester 2010, Germany’s former foreign minister Joschka Fischer, as Heinrich Heine Visiting Professor 2010, gives three lectures on “Europe’s Role in the World” (Europas Rolle

in der Welt).

undefinedVideo stream of the lectures

Düsseldorf university public speeches: Hans-Dietrich Genscher, foreign minister of the Federal Republic of Germany from 1974 to 1992 opens the lecture series “The State and Law during Separation and Unification” (Staat und Recht in Teilung und Einheit).
undefinedVideo stream of the public speech

The Queen’s visit
University council
University and State Library
Bidding farewell to President Gert Kaiser 2003
Joschka Fischer, Heinrich Heine Visiting Professor 2010
Hans-Dietrich Genscher opens the lecture series “20 years of reunification” on 19.10.2010
Responsible for the content: E-MailStabsstelle Kommunikation